Thursday, April 24, 2008

Childlike faith

Matthew 18:1-4

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

I love this scripture and having a daughter to share this truth with and raise in the ways of the Lord is an on-going reminder of how simple faith can be. I have been meaning to post this story for over a month now and am just getting around to it. On the night before Talia's birthday party she woke up around 11pm crying (she doesn't have a history of nightmares or waking up unless she has an ear infection so this was weird). Thinking she would just go back to sleep I waited a while before going up to check on her. When she didn't stop crying I went upstairs to see what was going on. After kneeling by her bed, talking to her and praying with her she asked me if I could tell her the "Talia, God's princess" story. Basically I have this story I created to explain the gospel to Talia in 3 year old friendly language. She loves it and often will ask me to share it with her. After I told her the "Talia, God's princess story" she asked me to sing to her..she wanted the cup song of course (You are my All in All). As I was singing she stopped me and asked me about the lyrics "Taking my sin, my cross, my shame". She wanted to know if Jesus is the one who could take sins away...she said: "He does it because we can't do it ourselves right Mommy?" I told her she was right then she asked me how does he take them away and if he could take hers away. I explained to how Jesus takes our sins away and how we can pray to him to come live in our hearts. She then told me that she wanted to pray to tell Jesus that she wanted him to do that for her. Her prayer was the most sincere and sweet one I have ever heard...it went something like this: "Dear Heavenly Father, I want Jesus to take my sins and come in my heart...I love you, In Jesus name, Amen". She then gave me a hug and a kiss and went back to sleep. I then went downstairs crying and shared with Kyle what had happened. I think it is the most precious experience to watch your child explore their faith and ask questions. I love that I get to be Talia's mommy and watch how her faith is being shaped. Glory to God as He works in her life!!

4 comments:

Amber Red said...

what an amazing story! I want to her the princess story too!

Heather said...

Yes, I'd love to hear it as well.

Trujess said...

can I hear the princess story too?

Rachel said...

Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing. We are all waiting for the Princess story now. :-)