Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pruning

~John 15:1-8~
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showering yourselves to be my disciples.”

I have never had a green thumb, it is probably a nice shade of lavender but not green so I was a bit surprised that God would use gardening as a way to get my attention. Good ol' Wikipedia defines pruning as the practice of removing diseased, non-productive, or otherwise unwanted portions from a plant. The purpose of pruning is to shape the plant by controlling or directing plant growth, to maintain the health of the plant, or to increase the yield or quality of flowers and fruits. Proper pruning is as much a skill as it is an art, since badly pruned plants can become diseased or grow in undesirable ways.

The word pruning has been whispered into my ear for the last few weeks…quietly, gently but consistent. You see there has been a sin that I have become friends with over the years. It has been my buddy, my comfort and God has been revealing to me that in order to bear fruit, to remain in Him I have to let my old buddy loose. I have known this to be true for sometime but I guess I haven't been taking God seriously about all this until now. His quiet whisper has gotten my attention. This process of pruning requires change, which isn’t always in my comfort zone, however I know from His Word that it is essential that I do so. While I have been feeding Liliana at night I have been hearing His whisper…Him telling me “Let’s hash this stuff out…child it’s time to get rid of your old buddy…I have so much more for you, it’s better and worth it”. This process of pruning requires change on my part...it calls for repentance to not simply acknowledge and apologize for this sin but to turn from it, to take action. There are many challenges I face with all of this pruning but most of all I think I have been even more challenged to trust and believe God. Trust and believe that He knows what is best for me. There is risk in trusting and my stubborn heart becomes hard at times resisting this love and the peace that comes with a trusting relationship with my King. However, He has been faithfully pursuing me, reminding me of His great love and I am so thankful.

It is time for me to be willing to sit in the shadow of the cross...to know His sacrifice was enough. It is time to accept His love despite my fears, confusion at times or wanting to sit in my comfort zone. It is time to say goodbye to my old friend and to be get rid of anything that hinders me from knowing Him more fully or deeply. It is time to hand the pruning shears over the Master Gardener so He can cut off what doesn't belong.

~Psalm 103:11-12~
"For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west
so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

~Jude 24~
""To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy--to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

3 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing Carrie! I am longing for a chat with you - I feel like there is so much we need to catch up on. I loved the pruning story and the verses you included. What a great reminder to me.

Amber said...

Thank you for sharing what God is doing in your life. I dito Heather on the long chat thing.Your post leds me to one of my favorite verses-

Hebrews 12:1&2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run wth perserverance the race marked out for us.Let us fix our eyes on Jesus...

love you girl :)

Trujess said...

I have this terrible natural tendency to skip over devotional postings and get to the "good stuff"...I want to "know" whats going on in everyones life...not sure why I need to know but it makes me feel more in control...

I decide to discipline myself and read what you posted instead of skimming over it like I usually would. ( I read books like that too...I'm terribly impatient).

Anyways I read it and God spoke to me through your words. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I've been getting frustrated with God on this trying to conceive deal...and last night my husband says whenever God has blessed us its been when we've totally surrendered to him...are we doing that right now? ...and the answer was no... I like being comfortable...and I don't want to just "leave it" in his hands. I don't want to make the effort sometimes...I want I want...don't always get what God wants... your words tho encourage me... I need to let God drive my life and whatever good or bad happens along the way just praise him... Thank you Carrie!